most interesting vol. 6

A few interesting articles I read lately as well as an investigation into free movie and tv show viewing options.

1) Wasps, wasps, wasps:

This Summer in Minnesota, there were no flies or mosquitoes...only wasps. When I was on walks it would be multiple wasps flying around me as if they were flies. I thought it so strange, yet figured I was exaggerating since both myself and my dog had been stung by yellow jackets last Summer and maybe I was just not wanting that to happen again. However...my feelings were validated by this Washington Post article! It states that "the Midwest had a fast start to Spring, with warmer-than-average temperatures in March and April. Those conditions met wasps' nest-building criteria, so they had more time to lay more eggs, according to experts." One exterminator mentioned in the article said his company's call volume increased 30 percent starting this Spring.

2) A climate-resistant small house:

How cute is this small house designed by architect Hafsa Burt!? It is an actual structure built as a private home in Jackson, California. But acts as "a prototype and a thought experiment towards achieving climate-resilient architecture." 

null small house, a raised steel and timber structure in the countryside that experiments as a proposal for climate resilient architecture

(Image credit: Douglas Friedman)

3) Free show and movie options:

I've been a Netflix subscriber since the beginning. Sadly this past week I cancelled my service. This past year with the addition of podcasts and games and not the same high quality movies in the past, I felt like I was starting and stopping multiple shows before I found something good to watch, or maybe never would and had to give up. And, I've also been reading before bed instead of watching tv. Between both of these things it was time.

I've got some free alternates to use when I do want to watch something...

My library has a large selection on Cloud Library. Unlike Hoopla, there is no daily limit per library, nor is there a limit on how many I can watch in a month. I have not tried Kanopy out as of yet, but this is another free option through my library. 

YouTube, of course, is a great option. I don't find the ads too bothersome so I don't pay to remove them. Same goes for Tubi. There are a few other options I haven't tried, but would like to, including Plex, Crackle, and Pluto TV. 

I love shows from Denmark, Germany, Poland, etc. So, I have investigated paying for international and indie options like MHzChoice, Mubi, Criterion, Acorn TV, or Brit Box.

Do you have any favorite viewing options?

No comments:

Post a Comment