On a Saturday morning a few weeks ago, I sat with my coffee and started watching a movie. I had never heard of the movie. And I had no idea the movie was going to be so wonderful. I spent the two hours watching it in fits of laughter and tears streaming down my face.
It's called I Swear. And, you can find it on Netflix. It is based on the true story of a Scottish boy, John, growing up in the 80's when he is diagnosed with Tourette's. The Syndrome is ver mis-understood and so he is severely bullied and it puts significant strain on his family relationships. The situations he gets in as he tries to navigate this new normal for him are heart wrenching, heartwarming, and also sometimes lighthearted. The movie was so incredibly done.
I found a number of other films on YouTube about his life throughout the years.
John's Not Mad is a half hour documentary filmed in 1989.
The Boy Can't Help It was a 2002 documentary follow-up to John's Not Mad.
Lastly, an interview with John about the movie I Swear.
![]()
No comments:
Post a Comment