LEANING INTO BOREDOM

 I just read this short, but fascinating, article on Wired about how being bored out of you mind might make you more creative. While many of us may think there are not enough hours in the day to do everything we hope so how could anyone ever be bored?? However, most of us reach for our phones numerous times per day to fill short gaps in time. The article poses the idea that, 

"INSTEAD OF ALWAYS FLEEING BOREDOM, LEAN INTO IT. SOMETIMES ANYWAY."

photo by Jen Wilson Design

The two studies highlighted find that "boredom might spark creativity because a restless mind hungers for stimulation." Sandi Mann, who ran one of the experiments gives the example of "kids with nothing to do will eventually invent some weird fun game to play - with a cardboard box, a light switch, whatever." She says, "a bored mind moves into a daydreaming state." The article also shares, 


"THE PROBLEM, THE PSYCHOLOGISTS WORRY, IS THAT THESE DAYS WE DON'T WRESTLE WITH THESE SLOW MOMENTS. WE ELIMINATE THEM." 

Mann says, "We try to extinguish every moment of boredom in our lives with our mobile devices. This might relieve us temporarily, but it shuts down the deeper thinking that can come from staring down the doldrums. Noodling on your phone is like eating junk food."

 
photo by Erick R Robert

Wired notes, "there is, of course, bad boredom. The good type motivates you to see what can come of it. The bad type, in contrast, tires you, makes you feel like you can't be bothered to do anything - lethargic boredom."

I have always found in the relaxed state just before I drift off to sleep that I have breakthroughs in thinking - a business name comes to me, a new product I'm wanting to source... I jolt awake again to make a note on my bedside table so I might remember in the morning light. A goal this week I'll plan to stick by is to not pull out my phone after I've crawled into bed. Other parts of the day, I am a little more free to click it open to check what is new. But limit it more. And, bedtime at least is reserved for welcoming boredom and creative sparks. 


 photo from Stocksy via Byrdie

I'm excited to see what comes from embracing boredom more!

No comments:

Post a Comment