MAY DAY BASKETS

Did anyone else handcraft May baskets (maybe a woven paper heart), fill it with wildflowers picked from the field, and hang it on friends and relatives front door knobs on May 1st?? This was a tradition every year I looked forward to growing up. And, miss it greatly! It was sort of a welcoming into Spring. And, the way it was supposed to go was that after you hung the basket on the door, you would knock really hard, and the person inside would open the door and chase after you, and if they caught you they gave you a kiss. I remember one year running and running and running as fast as I could to escape the son of our family friend who was the same age as me - so embarrassed to have a little boy kiss me at that age. 

 IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE I HAVE HEARD OR SEEN OF ANYONE MAKING AND GIVING MAY BASKETS, AND I'D LOVE TO SEE IT HAVE A COMEBACK!

If you would like to help me make it happen, here are some wonderful ideas for handmade baskets...



via Urban Comfort


via A Pretty Cool Life




via Brendid





Fill with candies and picked (or handmade) flowers and let the joy begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment