recipe: non-alcoholic Pimm's

I love reading books by international authors. It is not just about learning fun new words or immersing myself in places I have never been. Frequently, my interest is piqued by the food and drinks the characters enjoy. This was exactly the case while reading Awake Awake by Fiona Mozley. 

When the protagonist, Mary, and her friends started drinking something called Pimm's, I immediately turned to Google. I discovered that the Pimm's Cup, or a "fruit cup in a glass," is a popular British summertime staple. Looking at the ingredients -- orange, strawberry, cucumber, lemon, and mint -- it is easy to see why it is so refreshing! It is a signature drink at major events like the Wimbledon Championships, the Chelsea Flower Show, and the Henley Royal Regatta (all events that sound like ones I would want to attend)! 

a non-alcoholic Pimm's mocktail in a mason jar handled drink glass in front of the blue water of a lake

Interestingly, Pimm's eventually migrated to the Southern US, landing in New Orleans nearly two centuries after its London inception. While it is traditionally made with gin, people also use base spirits like whisky, brandy, rum, vodka, and tequila. Intrigued, I mixed up a non-alcoholic mocktail version at home, and it was absolutely delicious!

Non-alcoholic Pimm's

Serves: 1

Ingredients:

Ice

4 fresh mint leaves cup 

2 orange slices, halved

2 hulled strawberries, quartered

3 slices English cucumber

1 lemon or lime slice

5 ounces sparkling lemonade (I used Aldi sparkling lemonade, but I have heard Schweppes Lemonade is also great for Pimm's)

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 

1 tbsp fresh orange juice (optional)

Instructions:

1) Cut fruit. Use part of the orange to make juice (if using).

2) Add desired amount of ice to glass. Add fruit saving lemon slice for rim of glass. 

3) Fill remainder of glass with sparkling lemonade. Top off with the balsamic vinegar.

4) Stir lightly and add lemon to rim.

Notes:

If using alcohol, it is wonderful to soak the fruit in a pitcher in the fridge for up to 12 hours before serving. You can also do this if you are using a flat lemonade and then adding something sparkling like a ginger ale at the time of serving.

I did not have any ice made. And it was 90 degrees so I figured it would just melt and water down the drink anyway. But, it was still amazing!

the ingredients for a non-alcoholic Pimm'scloseup of a Pimm's mocktail inside a mason jar handled glass taken in front of a blue lake

No comments:

Post a Comment