I made a second recipe from the cookbook, Cheesy, and it is a keeper with some edits (see "notes" at the bottom). These are an upgrade to regular salted deluxe mixed nuts when serving a cheese board or snacks to guests. Or, something special to nibble on yourself.
Sour Cream and Onion Spiced Nuts
Ingredients:
4 oz raw almonds
4 oz raw cashews
4 oz raw hazelnuts
4 oz raw pecans
2 oz raw pepitas
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp salt
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Toss the nuts and pepitas together in a large bowl. Drizzle with the butter and Worcestershire sauce and toss to coat. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake until toasted 18 to 20 minutes.
While the mixture is still warm, season with the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Serve warm or at room temperature. The nuts will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a month.
Notes:
The above recipe is as written from the cookbook. When I made it, I used an unsalted deluxe mixed nut package that I got from the store, which I added pepitas to. This made it quick to put together and required keeping less different types of nuts on hand. I toasted for 10-12 minutes longer than suggested (so 30 minutes) and I still don't think the nuts got toasted enough. The time on the recipe aligns with the normal toasting time it should take. So, I am not sure why mine weren't getting crispy and a darker tone. The one thing I can think of is that I felt like the nuts were too "wet" - next time I would cut the butter in half. In this same vein, I liked the flavor a lot but wanted it punched up more. So, I would double the spices and maybe even double the Worcestershire sauce amount.
Let me know if you have any suggestions for me in getting a better "toasting" on my nuts next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment