HEALTHY ZUCCHINI BREAD


We always had a garden growing up - with sweet peas, zucchini, carrots, rhubarb...  I would pick fresh vegetables straight from the earth, wash them off under the spigot, and pop them in my mouth.  The zucchini was baked into bread, it seems almost daily.  I loved to bake bread!!  I don't remember who's recipe I used when I was little, but when my neighbor gifted me the hugest zucchini I've ever seen from her friends garden a few weeks ago, I went to my moms blog to search for a zucchini bread recipe.  


AND, IT'S A KEEPER!


I feel like it is so hard to find one that is a bit more healthy that is still sweet and moist.  And, this is it!  Zucchini is in season from June through August in most parts of the country so we're ending peak season.

BUT, IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO GET A FEW LOAVES IN!!


Zucchini Bread

Makes: 2 loaves

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 c oil
1/2 c applesauce
1 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 c grated zucchini
2 1/2 c flour (I used 1 1/2 c unbleached all-purpose flour + 1 c whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 c oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 325.
2) Grease and flour 2 small loaf pans (4 1/2 x 8 1/2).
3) Beat eggs. Add oil, applesauce, sugar, vanilla, and zucchini. Mix together. Add dry ingredients.
4) Pour into loaf pans.
5) Bake for 1 hour (or until a flat toothpick inserted comes out clean). Note: I like to underbake my bread slightly so it is more moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment