book review: Man in The Mirror - Hope, Struggle, and Belonging in an American City by Anand Giridharadas

Man in The Mirror by Anand Giridharadas

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ 5/5

Thank you Knopf for providing an ARC for review consideration via NetGalley! All opinions are my own.

Very thought-provoking! I went into this book hoping to learn more about the tragic 2023 death of Jordan Neeley on a NYC subway car, and I certainly got that. However, the part of the summary promising to “immerse us in the places where this story plays out” is the true heart and soul of why this is such an important read. Rather than just reporting the timeline of that fateful day leading up to the trial, author Anand Giridharadas provides the personal perspectives of a broad spectrum of people - including a friend of Jordan’s, a fellow unhoused witness, activists, politicians, health advocates, and lawyers. Presenting the narrative this way allows for much deeper discourse, mapping out complex considerations, opposing sides, and the core motivations or beliefs at play. Ultimately, it helped me visualize what systemic change might look like. I came away much more knowledgeable about mental health, homelessness, and the incredible value of ensuring that every human being feels valued and purposeful. I highly recommend this book, as every reader will come away with a better perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment