Another cozy mystery I tried out in an effort to find my niche was The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (best known as the co-host of the British game show, Pointless). While this is his debut novel, the series has already expanded to five books! The story follows four residents of an upscale English retirement village who team up to solve crimes.
True to the genre, the book is packed with wit, cleverness, and silly banter. Using elderly protagonists is a brilliant move - it takes the amateur sleuth concept in a delightfully fresh direction and opens the door for some wonderfully corny moments. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud, but I found myself giggling throughout this book.
While I adored the core cast of characters and charming setting, my engagement wavered. I settled into a good rhythm during the middle section, but I struggled with both the beginning and the climax. There were so many moving pieces and minor supporting characters that it became difficult to keep track of everything, which made the final resolution feel a bit anticlimactic.
Additionally, the dialogue mechanics became a bit repetitive. Instead of letting a natural back-and-forth flow dictate who was speaking, the text frequently reiterated names with every speaker change. The characters also constantly repeated each other's names mid-conversation, which quickly became a distracting paint point for me.
I gave this 3 out of 5 stars. For a debut novel, it is still incredibly well done, and I will definitely be picking up the next installment. I've noticed that while this first book averages around 3.5 stars online, the subsequent books in the series jump up to the mid 4 star range among reviewers. I am excited to see how the series evolves!
The reason I have been testing out different types of cozy mysteries is because I had been seeing so many books popping up set in quaint English towns, bookshops, or knitting circles - usually featuring a resident cat or two! Intrigued by this trend, I did a little digging and learned that British cozy mysteries experienced a resurgence in the 1980's. Heavily inspired by Agatha Christie, these gore-free whodunits rely on amateur sleuths and witty dialogue. By the 2000's, this paved the way for "thematic cozies" centered around cooking or crafting, culminating in another spike of popularity during the 2020 lockdowns. Growing up, I absolutely loved Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys. Because those childhood favorites share that classic amateur sleuth DNA, I figured I would be a natural fit for this lighthearted style.
If you read any of the installments of The Thursday Murder Club and like it, there is also Netflix show that has been created based on the books. Sometimes I like to make a recipe inspired by the books I am reading. Viennese whirls were served with tea and coffee during one of the scenes in the book so I looked them up. I am a bit of a lazy baker and don't deal with piping bags. However, they do look very yummy! More my style would be to order something from The British Corner Shop who sells products from Waitrose, an upscale UK supermarket, and ships to the US. This would allow me to try out some favorite British favorites.

No comments:
Post a Comment